Since moving to California In-N-Out has become one of my go-to places to get a great burger. One of their secret menu items is an “Animal-Style” burger, which includes a savory spread of mayonnaise, mustard, and chopped pickles on the top bun. A well-kept secret is that you can actually get this spread in small packets if you ask for it at the counter. Sometimes, I will ask for extra spread and save some spread packets to make this tasty tuna dip.
In-N-Out style Tuna spread
The foundation of this recipe lies in the tuna and mayo. A unique blend of the other ingredients gives this spread a tangy kick.
Time: 5 minutes. Serves 2-4.
1 5oz can chunk white tuna in water
1/8 small red onion, chopped
1 packet In-N-Out spread (you can use this recipe if you don’t have In-N-Out spread)
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
a few dashes of paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 box Club crackers
- Drain the water from the can of tuna.
- In a small storage bowl, break up the chunks of tuna with a fork. Mix in chopped onion.
- Add spread, lemon juice, paprika and mix, further breaking up the tuna. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in 1 tbsp of mayonnaise and mix well with tuna. Repeat until spread achieves a paste-like consistency and no separate chunks of tuna remain. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve immediately with club crackers or cover and refrigerate.